Thursday, August 27, 2009

Colorado Briefing




8/13 – 8/19

I have learned a lot since my last year experience in Colorado for our STINT briefing. For one, I did not have a keen understanding with finances and the support I needed to raise. I felt that I was about 80% prior to Colorado with support, but due to miscalculations and change of support goal, I found myself at 73% of my support. I knew from the depths of my heart that God called me to the mission field in Mexico City (through divine interventions), I just didn’t know why I did not have the support. The only answer was, I guess I didn’t work hard enough. So, I worked even harder that week in Colorado. Briefing went super fast because I was simply focused on support! I felt that I could not enjoy time with my new team since I was behind and needed to call and email possible supporters. Those moments seem like a blur, but 2 days before my team left for Mexico, with about $670 monthly support left, I was about to get the plane ticket back home to California. I begged and pleaded with tears falling down my face. I tried to make excuses of my situation. Rules are rules, and I understand now why they are strict in making those decisions. It makes sense now. However, God intervened. A teammate had actually raised up more than he needed. It wasn’t because he chose to raise more; it was because so many gave. He spoke to the financial advisor, Regina, first (this was all unknown to me). Then, I and another teammate, Jenn who didn’t have the support either, received a phone call to meet her at her room. There, thinking that we were heading home, found out that this person’s support was exactly the amount we needed to go to Mexico City. There are no other explanations but God intervened. It isn’t about what I do – how hard I try. I have learned to rely on His provision. For if God wills it, God will make it happen! No doubt!

This year! Prior to Colorado, I had a chance to talk to the same financial advisor to share my situation. I believe I was around the 70ish%. She suggested that I buy an airplane back home to California, simply stating that it would be cheaper if you buy it sooner than later. I agreed, but my heart didn’t setting with that response. I strongly felt that God will provide once again, but then, I knew that it would be wiser to buy – just in case. It came to show that I received 83% of my support on August 13th, and moving along smoothly. Regina didn’t know, but I didn’t buy the airplane ticket back home. A part of me wanted to trust in God’s provision. Couple days past and we had set a date to talk about ministry and finances two days prior to the 19th, but I truly needed to share with Regina my status without a ticket. I surprised her as she was in line for lunch by quickly stating that I had no ticket home and praying that God will provide. She took it in very well even though she had advised me to buy the ticket. From that day forward, I wanted her to know how God was providing my support. In the 87%, support was slow, It was tough, I begin to rethink to myself that maybe God has plans for me to go back home. However, I refused to dampen my days. Instead, I took the extra time to value my team. Together we went hiking up the mountain, 12,000 feet up! We spent time sharing our summer and how we each had missed Mexico and our plans in returning. We even had a chance to get to know other mission groups, especially a group going to El Salvador. Last year, I worried more than anything. This year, I focused on the here and now, and grateful with where I was at. Not to say, I didn’t work! During the days we spent alone, I called and emailed possible supporters. Two days prior to Mexico and I was certain God was going to provide the 100%. Instead, I ended at 94%. The last and final day, God had completed 97% during lunch. Like before, I texted Regina with the latest news. Due to the farewell dinner and the commissioning ceremony, I knew I would not be able to raise up the rest, so I prayed. Downstairs I met with Regina and my team. Without any fear of what if’s I trusted in the words Regina planned to speak. She handed me a sheet of paper, as I looked at it, I noticed my ticket wasn’t to California, but Mexico! Praise God! I was going to Mexico City with my team! This year, God pushed it even further. No worries. For dinner we were to dress up since we would all be eating at a restaurant. As we sat and shared of our plans to Mexico and our excitement, I received a phone call from my church. The remaining support I needed was taken care of – 100%!!! Truly God provided, not incompletely, but fully! Praise HIM!!

What did I learn from this? God will provide as He wills it to be, to whoever he wills it to be for, and when he wills it to come. It is our attitude that matters during the tough time! Last year, I fretted and worried. This year I choose to trust in God, to read His Word in prayer. This time my faith was strengthened and my heart was at peace. I rested in God’s promises and His plan for my life. I knew He knew my situation. It wasn’t a secret. I didn’t have to plead. It was simply resting in His promises. If I may encourage you tonight, please note that God is so good to His children! Rest in His mighty hand for your life! Will you risk trusting I Him even if you don’t know what tomorrow holds?

1 comment:

RWilson05 said...

Melissa, my Sister in Christ! I loved reading this! I'm praising God for your trust and faith! What an amazing testament you are! I'm SO happy that you are 'home' now, in Mexico City! I know that's where your heart is! I have SO much to share with you, but I know you are extremely busy, and have no internet. I will be emailing you soon, about my own personal testament of choosing to trust fully in the Lord and his provision! It truly is amazing how much he loves his children, and how much He provides for us! Amazing! =)