Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back in Mexico



Leaving to Colorado and arriving to Mexico was exhausting. My day began at 4:45am and ended at 8:30pm. It was a LONG day, but a good day. We had one stop in Houston, Texas. Instead of sitting and reading on my own, I initiated a conversation with my neighbors. I found out that they just came back from celebrating their youngest son’s wedding in Colorado and heading back home to Florida. I love the way God places people in your life for a reason. They were not only a friendly couple, but ones who live for Christ as well. I don’t know how to explain it, but there is that bond, the connection between strangers when the Spirit of God is there. We had a great conversation sharing our hearts and books. That was a big highlight for the trip.

Arriving in Mexico, a couple students and about 3 staff members were there holding up a “Welcome Home” sign. Oh, how I missed Mexico! We hugged and greeted one another with a kiss (its traditional here). Then off we went!

Me and Mandy did not have an apartment so we slept in the homes of our coordinators. I slept on the couch of Katie’s apartment while Mandy slept on the ‘deflating’ air mattress with Emily.

The following days weren’t relaxing. On Thursday, we had one LONG meeting to catch us up with updates and ministry info. Friday, we had a shorter meeting sharing our schedule outline, about one hour to talk with Mandy about the ‘must have’ and ‘would prefer to have’ in our apartment scouting, then at 5pm game of GOTCHA, aka paintball, for team bonding. This was going to be my first paintball experience ever! In the game, I found myself out of breath quite easily (working out hasn’t been a priority the last monthish), but I still pressed on to shoot straight at my opponents. Opps! I accidentally shot Joram, my own teammate, on the leg. It was an accident!! I guess when you are in the game and the adrenaline rushing, one shoots without thinking. I don’t think I like the game too well. I felt violent. Saturday, me and Mandy took about 4 hours walking around the neighborhood finding available apartments and calling for details. A long day, some leads, one especially. That night was our welcoming party. (If you are thinking about rest, it comes… eventually). Sunday, church at 11am, had a chance to meet several students and had lunch with last year’s STINTer, Michelle (who is now working as a 4th grade English teacher). From here, I rested!!! Spent time with Jesus at Starbucks till 7pm! Monday, yet another team meeting, this time about our roles in our team and the logistics of how we will specifically play out the WIN, BUILD and SEND to reach to the lost students in Mexico.

Let me pause right here to share with you some data of Mexico City:
~~We have 8 full time staff (including 2nd year STINTers) and 4 volunteers (who work full-time, but offer their time for launching movements).
~~We will be working on 17 campuses. Each person will be specifically on 4-5 universities.
~~We will meet every Monday morning at 10am for team planning and building.
Every other week we will have a Bible Study.
~~We will be keeping up data information of contacts and ministry information through a secured website.
~~Every 2nd Saturday, the Community Service team (of two) will have about 4 services students can help volunteer for the poor, the fatherless, the young, the hungry, and the disabled.
~~We will be hosting events to invite, uplift, encourage, and teach students how to become leaders in their campuses.

I am excited with all that is going on! There is so much to look forward to! I know that God will do amazing things this year! One thing I shall take from Colorado is, “Each person on our team is God’s provision for the other!”

Our Campus team:
Emily – The overseer of what goes on in Mexico. Has a great talent for administration and leadership skills. She is my mentor in my spiritual and emotional growth!
Katie – One of the team leaders. She guides us to our vision. Her job is to maintain, monitor the team and the activities we do. She too has a talent for administration and the Word of God.
Luis – Is our National leader that works with Katie in monitoring our activities. He actually is raising up support since he just got married with Liz and instead of support for one, he and Liz needs to raise support for two! Currently they are in Wisconsin. I hope they come soon!
Liz – Is new to our team since she just got married with Luis. I don’t know her too well, just that they met at school in Jalapa.
Alejandra – Is from Jalapa, Veracruz (like Luis). She has a great talent for prayer and discipleship with young women. She also has boldness to speak the truth when something is wrong.
Sandra – I feel like I was the closest with Sandra last year in my team. She has a personality like my own. She has a talent in planning for events and directing teams/students to a goal. She also is the best hospitality skill I know!!
Victor – Victor volunteers when he isn’t working. He has a weird schedule in which he works out in the ocean, pumping gas for 15 days straight then free for 15 days. He has a gift with providing necessary materials when needed. He also disciples men very well! I always joke with him with his outward appearance. First glance one would think he is the toughest man ever (big with a frown), but once you get to know him, he is as soft and sweet as a teddy bear. (Don’t tell him I said this…. Hehehe)
Joram – Joram is from Holland and has a talent with languages and music! He came last February and probably will stay till August ends (we are hoping so).
Lola (Jessica) – Jessica first came on one of the summer project. She had such a great experience that she returned. Not for a month, but for a year (hopefully more) working with college students. She has a gift with hair cutting and graphic designing. I haven’t worked alongside her much, but I will have the opportunity to do so in 2 of my campuses!
Mandy – My old roommate! Mandy is such a sweet young woman of God. She is from a small down in Oklahoma. Being in Mexico is a big change, but she has adjusted well – especially with her Spanish!
Me – I have received a heart for Mexico since Winter Conference 2005. Ever since I stepped foot in Mexico, I knew this was for me. I don’t know how long God calls me here, but what I do love is the people here. There are so many to reach! I have a gift with evangelization and organization (but if you look in my room, you may disagree).

Community Service team:
Angie – Angie is a full-time staff (like Emily & Katie). She has a HUGE heart for the community, especially working alongside with prostitutes. She has a gift for hospitality and cooking!
Tim – Tim was working in the campus team last year, this year he feels called to work alongside the people in the community. He has a gift with photography and devotion to God.

No comments: