Monday, October 27, 2008

Kikoten Retreat


Just this weekend, our Oriente team had a chance to really get connected with some of the students we will be working with through a retreat at Kikoten – a beautiful forest-like area just an hour away from Districto Federal.


Here we are driving in a taxi to the camp. It is interesting to note the idol on his windshield. I don’t know about this idol, but it sure intrigues me to do research on it.


With a capability of 40 students, we had a total of 28 total arriving to camp including the pastor, his wife and our Oriente team. Our main focus was to be transformed “socially” and to really connect with these students.


To begin we had a time to eat at a restaurant. The ride there was super fun! Why? Legally, we all sat in the back of the pastor’s truck!! HEhe! One funny event, that I’m even questioning why I’m saying it, is that for some reason I heard a song about “No te metes con mi cuku” (something like that) which translates to ‘don’t mess with my rear end/bottom.’ Well, if you know me sometimes I can do strange things and well…I started singing only that part and the whole back of the truck rooted for more!! It was HILARIOUS!! Just acting like Crazy Melissa!

During the camp we had talks about the social life of Mexico and the United States such as abortion, homosexuals, the death sentence, social justice, etc. I wish I could say I understood the whole thing, but I didn’t – I’m still working on my Spanish especially in the lecture/lesson settings. I just got tidbits here and there. I do believe that the students are now aware that their views on these things do matter and they must stand up for them. In the end, the lasting remark was that in order to influence society, we must be transformed within (God-centered) to make the difference in our society.

It was awesome that in the end, many students had confirmations on some choices/changes to make in their walk with God and together prayed for wisdom and direction.

Also, we had a time to connect through various activities. On Saturday, some students relaxed under the cool sun enjoying God’s beauty. Many (like me) enjoyed the outdoor games. We played a mix of tag, signs, various running events AND a chance to play at an obstacle course with tire swings, tight ropes, etc. That was super fun! I had a chance to enjoy being with people I didn’t really know and to be a team!
On Sunday (the last day) we had our last devotion, cooked and ate, cleaned and took pictures as we waited for the taxis to come pick us up. Overall, I enjoyed my time! It is such a value to be connected as a community to build and to encourage one another in our walk with God and our personal struggles.

No comments: