Monday, September 14, 2009

Culture CLASH



Missionary work – going somewhere OUTSIDE your own home is a challenge. It amazes me each day to see the differences that I have not only with the Mexican culture, but the culture of my teammates. I love them dearly. I wish to be molded in such a way so that I can fit JUST right, but there are differences that must be worked through.

Today in our staff meeting we spoke about our top values.

Mexico Values: Relationships, Hospitality, Service, time flexibility…

MY biggest struggle is time, task, and productivity! I have found myself certain – down days, where I guilt myself with the not working HARD enough since I don’t seem to have much to show for myself. I love getting tasks done! I love finding myself doing much… BUT I have learned and am still learning that I can’t do 10 things in one day IN Mexico. I still have to learn that So and So may not meet up with me even after scheduling 3x… and that it isn’t a personal issue. I still have to learn to not rely on text messaging and emails. I still have to learn to plan not only an A plan, but a B plan AND even a C plan! Most of all, I STILL have to learn that self is the biggest struggle I deal with in taking those initiative steps in sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all I am around!!

I am learning…that there is still so much yet to learn!!

Please pray for me!

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God , which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.(Phil 4:4-7)”

No comments: