Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu

Since Friday April 24th, life here in Mexico City took a drastic change! The night before, students were informed that all schools will be closed due to the epidemic of this swine flu. Swine flu is a respiratory disease and transmitted mainly by person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people. The symptoms are about the same as a seasonal flu that may include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. With this floating around in Mexico City, I choose to I take each challenge that comes with the best intentions knowing there is a purpose in everything. So what now?

Mexico City has been affected by this swine flu. First, and most noticeable, is the mask each person is recommended to wear to avoid getting others sick. Schools have been closed and small businesses have been recommended to close down until the epidemic goes away. Many restaurants and cafés don’t allow sit down anymore (not even Starbucks). Everything is take-out. The other is that on the news there have been deaths confirming to be from the swine flu. I believe this brings fear to many. I really don’t think death is the biggest problem Mexico is facing with this epidemic, more so it is the economy. Yahoo News reads, “Officials said Mexico City is losing $57 million a day amid a shutdown that includes schools, state-run theaters and other public places.”

Because of this epidemic and fear of the flu, Enfoque Mexico has been there to watch over us. That Friday I had several meeting with students, thinking that I can take precautions by watching where I go, who I contact with and keeping my distance from others. I left that morning planning to return early evening. During my meeting, I received the phone call to quickly leave and arrive home, that it wasn’t safe being outside in public using the public transportations. I must admit it was tough to say goodbye, knowing that this one day would probably not come again.

On April 28th we were informed that we will be quarantined till May 6th. I must admit, this is going to be a challenge, but I choose to take one day at a time enjoying it as best as God leads me. The 28th was a hard/sad day. Because of this influenza going around many of the STINTers are now choosing to leave a month or so before the designated date. I will miss you: Colby, Chris F., Chris C., Scott, Eric, and Aaron. It will be different now, but I thank you for your time, your love and your friendship!

Thank you for your prayers! May God bless you and keep you healthy (for I heard it has been found in the states as well).

No comments: